These figures took a little while longer than usual to complete due to competing Summer activities. When I finish this project I will have enough Spanish and Portuguese to field a Brigade each (although the Portuguese will have one battalion per regiment rather than their usual two).
![]() |
| I did not have enough figures to create a command base so the 18th Infantry will be flagless for the time being. |
![]() |
| It makes a change with Hintons not to have to paint backpacks |
![]() |
| The General makes his presence known at the centre of the square |
![]() |
| Their general (aka French General FN224). After closer examination I believe him to be a vintage Hinton Hunt rather than my earlier conclusion that he was a good copy. |
![]() |
| A Clayton Hinton Hunt FN224 to his right as comparison. His right looking head is less pronounced than his Portuguese counterpart. |
![]() |
| The next time these two appear together they will be on opposite sides of the battlefield. I have a scenario in mind based on an actual Peninsula battle. |
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)

.jpg)
Very nice work on the Portuguese and how nice not to have to paint packs! I have several vintage FN224’s and they are all orientated with the less pronounced head turn if that helps!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ian....the mystery of the turned head continues!!
ReplyDeleteThe figure I have from the Dick Tennant collection has that extreme turn of head, but Dick used a lot of Dave Clayton castings. I suspect all of the Portuguese came from Dave Clayton, so it would not surprise me if this general is a DC variant. Great work on the 18th Simon! Love the Red and Yellow collars.
ReplyDeleteThanks for that additional info David. I wonder if Dave Clayton is still around to ask?! (only joking). Glad you like the 18th. Cacadores are next on the production line.
DeleteNice unit - well done for getting on with it this summer - my painting has died the death in this heat. But you know me, I want to see the Spanish!
ReplyDeleteThanks Rob, I'm also itching to get on with the Spanish but I'm lacking Officer figures at the moment and may have to resort to conversions. So for the time being the Portuguese have the upper hand......the undercoat is already on for the next unit.
Delete